Saturday, July 20, 2013

Possible action research project

As most of you know, pre-k and kindergarten are not required grades in the state of Texas and in some cases you have to qualify for pre-k. I wonder why it's not required, should it be? I am thinking about tracking students this year who are in pre-k, kindergarten and first. I want to see their progress if they are or are not past attendees of pre-k, kindergarten and first. As a kindergarten teacher I can tell you first hand the benefits of having a student who attended pre-k the year before. I wonder how first grade teachers deal when they get a student who did not attend pre-k or kindergarten? With the ever rising standards and the pressure students have on them today, I think we are doing them a disservice by not requiring pre-k and kindergarten... Thoughts?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I completely agree. I am a first grade teacher. I can definitely tell the difference with students who have been to pre-k and kindergarten and those who haven't. It is absolutely a set back not to attend pre-k and kindergarten. The end of the year standards and expectations are almost impossible to meet if the students don't already have those pre-k and kindergarten skills.