Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Week Four Update

After reviewing everyones comments I have made a few changes to my ARP.  Before I being my research at school, I will research ARP that have already been done at other schools or institutions with my same topic in mind, also thanks to Kyle who said "are you making a distinction of kids that went to pre-k at a public school vs ones that went to a private school or daycare type of instution? 
Also possbibly another area would be if it was a full day program or a half day program." I will now be including this distinction in my excel spread sheet where I will be imputing student data. I will have a section that indicates if the student attended a half day or whole day if if the institution was public, private or a daycare setting. Thank you all for your wonderful feedback!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the section that you added. I think it is important. My Pre K program was half day and my son went to a full day pre k, so I am not sure which I like better. I know that you collect great data. Good luck!!

Nikki Williams said...

Brittani,

I really like the idea of doing a little research by others first. I am actually going to do the same with mine now. Thank you for the idea! You sound like you are making some good adjustments and ideas. Good luck!

crmeche said...

Part of the process of action research is conducting a literature review. I think that this includes other action research projects. Throughout this course, I've come to realize that data should not always be quantitative. Qualitative data has its place. A blending of the two seems to be the approach. I can see the same misconception in regards to literature. I once held a view that "scholarly" research belonged to the realm of academia, but now I can see how what other practitioners have learned is a vital resource. This knowledge will help refine your own action research. As Edmund Burke said, "Those that do not know history are doomed to repeat it."

Unknown said...

I've just started researching to see if there are any other ARPs about my topic. Like we keep hearing, "why reinvent the wheel?" Plus, maybe it will provide more insight and lead us to areas we didn't consider. Good luck!