Thursday, August 1, 2013

Action Research Plan...

Activities
Resourses/
Research Tools  Needed
Person(s) Responsible
Time Line
Benchmarks/
Assessments
Evaluation Throughout Action Research
Meet with kindergarten teachers to group students into two categories: attend pre-k/did not attend pre-k. Use information to create a list
Kindergarten class lists and enrollment cards for all kindergarten students.
Brittani Copenhaver
Kindergarten Team:
Laura Bolton
Amalia Davis
Claudia Trujillo
Stanisha Williams
August 19 – 23, 2013
n/a
n/a
Create a spread sheet using excel. This is where student names and text scores will be entered at BOY, MOY and EOY
Student list that was created with kindergarten teachers, August 19 – 23, 2012
Brittani Copenhaver
August 19 – 23, 2013
n/a
n/a
Analyze BOY assessment Data
Kindergarten Teachers class list report for DRA, DMA and TPRI assessment scores
Brittani Copenhaver
TBA based on district testing schedule that will be released the week school starts (August 26, 2013)
DRA, DMA and TPRI
Enter data into the excel spreadsheet that was created for comparing pre-kindergarten attendees and non-attendees.
Analyze MOY assessment Data
Kindergarten Teachers class list report for DRA, DMA and TPRI assessment scores
Brittani Copenahver
TBA based on district testing schedule that will be released the week school starts (August 26, 2013)
DRA, DMA and TPRI
Enter data into the excel spreadsheet that was created for comparing pre-kindergarten attendees and non-attendees.
Analyze EOY assessment Data
Kindergarten Teachers class list report for DRA, DMA and TPRI assessment scores
Brittani Copenhaver
TBA based on district testing schedule that will be released the week school starts (August 26, 2013)
DRA, DMA and TPRI
Enter data into the excel spreadsheet that was created for comparing pre-kindergarten attendees and non-attendees.
Analyze BOY, MOY and EOY data all together. Compare scores of students who did attend pre-kindergarten the previous year and those that did not.
BOY, MOY and EOY data that was entered into spreadsheets throughout the year.
Brittani Copenahver
May, 2013 after all testing is complete and scores have been returned to Kindergarten teachers
DRA, DMA and TPRI
Compare scores of students who did attend pre-kindergarten the previous year and those that did not. Create a visual to organize data.
Meet with Kindergarten teachers to discuss results from BOY, MOY and EOY assesments for DRA, DMA and TPRI.
BOY, MOY and EOY data that was entered into spreadsheets throughout the year.
Brittani Copenahver
Kindergarten Team:
Laura Bolton
Amalia Davis
Claudia Trujillo
Stanisha Williams
May, 2013
DRA, DMA and TPRI
If students who attend pre-kindergarten the year before performed higher on assessments how can we assist students in kindergarten that did not attend pre-kindergarten.

Action Research Plan

Goal: To be able to see through research and data collection the difference in assessment scores for students who did attend pre-kindergarten verses those students who did not.

Wondering: Do students who attend pre-kindergarten perform higher on BOY, MOY and EOY assessments (DRA, DMA, TPRI) in kindergarten than those students who did not attend pre-kindergarten?

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Brittani, I like that you used a different template than all of the others that I read, and that you added your wondering to the plan. It looks very well thought out and easy to understand. Your timeline appears to be realistic. This is an interesting topic for me because none of my own children attended Pre-K and they were all successful, yet I have seen some kids in kindergarten that could have really used a warm-up year. I'll be checking back to see what you find out.

Unknown said...

Brittani, I like that you used a different template than all of the others that I read, and that you added your wondering to the plan. It looks very well thought out and easy to understand. Your timeline appears to be realistic. This is an interesting topic for me because none of my own children attended Pre-K and they were all successful, yet I have seen some kids in kindergarten that could have really used a warm-up year. I'll be checking back to see what you find out.

dwetzel said...

Brittani,
Looks good. ..well thought out and organized...you'll do great!

Noemi Rosier said...

Will be interesting to note results. I understand that in other countries kids do not even go to school till they are 7 years old and they do very well. Do you think we make children start school too soon?

Heath said...

Very well put together and thought out. Only thing I saw was a typo in the second activity. You have the word "text" where you meant to have the word "test".

Unknown said...

Brittani - I know you are looking at kinder, but I would also consider their age (summer b-day's compared to school year b-days). That may have an effect on their abilities. Otherwise, it all looks really good and I am eager to follow and keep up with your findings!

Unknown said...

The results of this will be interesting. Leigh Ann had a great idea about their birthdays. That could be a completely different ARP all by itself. Great organization and easy to read.

Unknown said...

Thank you all so much for your comments. Also for finding my typo! Leigh Ann, that's a wonderful Ideal I think I will create a section in the spread sheet that will indicate each students age. Thank you all for your great feedback and suggestions! :-D

Unknown said...

Ooooo, I like your topic. The results of this one are going to be very, very interesting. I have always wondered about this and who knew I could of done an ARP on it. I like the idea of looking at birthdays as well. I think it is a big factor in school success, but some don't see it that way. I know what DRA and TPRI is, but what is DMA? Looks like you have a good plan to start. Good luck

Unknown said...

I don't have any experience with this age group, but you outline looks good. You may want to include a literature review to see what does the research say about students attending pre-k or not.

Unknown said...

Hi Brittani! Thanks for helping me out when I was in need of followers. I was curious to visit your blog and I'm glad I did. Your action research plan looks awesome and you have it planned out nicely. Your findings will be quite interesting to me since I work very closely with PreK and kindergarten on my campus. If I can be of any help to you I would be happy to return the favor.

Unknown said...

@ KellyWehmeyer DMA is a diagnostic math assessment. Than you for your thoughts! :-D

@ChristiniaMiranda that is a great thought! I may have to pull out my plan and revise it tomorrow. Thank you for that

@DanaBrecht No problem, glad to help thank you for your offer. I may take you up on it! :-D

Unknown said...

Brittani,
I love your topic! Most of my students have usually attended our deaf education preschool, so I know what I am getting. The ones that move into our district in kindergarten or who did not receive two full years of our preschool are the ones that struggle. I know the general education teachers always have frustrations with the ones that did not attend any preschool of any kind. Oh, have you also considered collecting data based on gender?

Alice SuAn

Unknown said...

Thank you all for your comments! They are greatly appreciated!

Richard Kyle Green said...

Looks good and I expect you to get some good data.
I don't know if you have this type of data, but are you making a distinction of kids that went to pre-k at a public school vs ones that went to a private school or daycare type of instution?
Also possbibly another area would be if it was a full day program or a half day program.
I went to a private school those early years and we actually had homework, and when I switched over to the local public school I was ahead of those kids, as were most of the others.
Good luck with everything.